Great Hotel Miramar
Author: José Seguí Pérez. Architec
The Hotel Miramar, built between 1921 and 1926, was originally named Hotel Principe de Asturias and is located on a trapezoidal site of 13.684 square meters. It occupies a complete and beautiful block to he north with Paseo Reding ant to the south with Pablo Ruiz Picasso Seaside. The building has a total constructed area of 19.179 square meters, projected on six floors and absement, with elements on its edges that create gradations in height, so tradicional of the regionalist architecture developed in Malaga by Guerrero Strachan. The building is structured around a quadrangular courtyard.
From the outset, the hotel aims to be an establishment of reference, in keeping with the great European hotels, with a clear tourist vision and given its urban enclave combined with an economic projection. “The construction of this hotel will raise the image of Spain and Malaga, attract capital and business and promote tourism.” Based on the standards offered in the best European hotels, its facilities were unbeatable with telephone, music and heating in all rooms. Their common services included a swimming pool and tennis courts. One even makes reference to a own jetty that would take advantage of the old facilities of the factory of sugar that occupied previously the lot and the possible connection with the building of the Company of Railroads of Andalusia, in order to accede in train directly to the hotel. Even in the program there is an office for billing and baggage check-in.
As for the program, the architect projects a large basement where all the server spaces are located; A large kitchen, storage spaces, rooms of facilities, warehouses, laundry room, ironing room and dining rooms for employees. On the ground floor is the access, both pedestrian and taxi to the hotel. The patio structure and organizes the most services in contact with the client such as the hairdresser, bar, reading room, dining rooms and the large ballroom, which occupies a central place on the floor. On this floor are also a group of rooms. The upper floors will be completely allocated to rooms.
Within the architectural references, the architect quoted the Riviera Palace of Montecarlo or the Ritz of Madrid. It was intended to offer an establishment with English luxury but with a formalization that linked it to its Andalusian origin. Guerrero Strachan raises a building that is structured around a patio, around which a gallery of distribution is organized in the first plant. From this plant the patio is covered by a glass skylight and metal structure. In the ornamentation of the patio collaborated the painter Enrique Jaraba and the sculptor Manuel Castaño that realized all the decoration of artificial stone.
It leaves a stylistic line of historicist roots and works in the framework of a volumetric ornamentation, parallel to that used in blocks 37 and 39 of the Houses of Paseo de Reding. In this case, given its privileged location facing the sea, the volumes are alleviated by the use of terraces and balconies that are producing an ascending stairway dissolving the effect of compact volume and visually reducing the height of the building. The composition of the facade from architectural orders and historicist root ornaments are replaced by a masterful volumetric game in which towers open to the coastal landscape are combined with loggias and terraces on glass windows in the form of bow windows, producing a game Plastic of lights and shadows. The bichromatic treatment of the façade is combined with the use of the ceramic material, the Arab tile over wooden structures.